The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program, administered by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), is the world’s most popular green building certification. Recently, the program has reached a major milestone, as more than 2 billion square feet of property has become LEED certified.
Moreover, LEED is continuing to grow at an exponential rate, with an estimated 7 billion square feet of projects being LEED registered. The additional LEED certified space will boost the 2 billion square feet milestone to more than 9 billion.
Here are the milestone highlights:
- Projects are currently located in more than 130 countries
- Every day, over 2 million square feet of commercial building space is receiving LEED certification
- An estimated 50,000 commercial projects are participating in the LEED green building program
- 23,000 residential projects have received LEED for Homes certification
- An additional 86,000 residential properties are currently seeking LEED certification
“In communities around the globe, leaders from every sector of the building industry are reinventing their local landscapes with buildings that enliven and bolster the health of our environment, communities and local economies,” said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO, & Founding Chair of the USGBC. “The journey to this milestone has energized our economy-funneling $554 billion annually into the U.S. economy alone-and has helped support 7.9 million jobs across the U.S.,” he added.
The continued influx of LEED certified projects indicates the growing importance of green building and the demand for green jobs. As one of the fastest growing sectors of the green economy, individuals looking to enhance their career should consider LEED training. Everblue’s training is ideal for architects, engineers, construction workers, and even individuals with no experience in the building and construction industry. To learn more, please visit Everblue’s LEED Green Associate Exam Prep page or call us at 800-460-2575.
By Peter J. Bock